The Global Owl Project (GLOW)
New website coming soon. Please also visit our Facebook Page.
This project is a long-term, worldwide project to advance foundational aspects of science and conservation for the world’s owls.
Work under this project is focused on seven tasks:
- Develop scientifically-robust survey & monitoring techniques for the world's owls;
- Analyze the molecular systematics and phylogeny of owls using basically mtDNA but also ncDNA;
- Acquire high-quality recordings of owl vocalizations, to assist in species identification & surveys;
- Compile original descriptions & photographs of extant & fossil owls, & an e-library of literature on the species;
- Refine maps of owl species distributions & conduct global owl diversity analyses;
- Assess Owls in Lore and Culture through interviews & literature;
- Distribute project information via internet pages, publications, and symposia to a very wide audience, including national and international biodiversity programs.